Below are a few Frequently Asked Questions to get you started. Have more questions?
Call our Apprentice Helpline: 877-877-9992

Apprenticeship Questions

Can I receive college credits through my apprenticeship?

Yes! Many areas of our Council partner with schools to use our apprenticeship training towards a two-year degree. Learn more.

Where and how do I turn in my work cards?

Work cards, or your monthly time sheet, should be turned in to the training center in which you attend classes. There are several ways you can submit these:

  1. Mail your completed work card to your assigned training center
  2. Take a photo of your completed work card and email it to your assigned training center
  3. Fax to your assigned training center

Find your training center.

How do I sign up for classes?

As an apprentice, you are assigned specific times to come to the training center for class. If you have questions about when you are scheduled, contact your training center directly.

What is the JAC?

JAC stands for Joint Apprentice Committee. You may also see it referenced as the JATC (Joint Apprentice Training Committee). The JAC is a group of Local members and contractors, along with a representative from the state workforce development agency, who oversee the area apprenticeship program. They monitor your progress in the program and are a resource for issues that arise during your apprenticeship. You will meet with the JAC in your area at least twice during your apprenticeship.

General Member Questions

What do I do if my contractor lays me off?

If you have not yet registered with the MIX 2020 job dispatch system, please call 1-855-456-2141. You will also need to fill out a Skills sheet at www.northcountrycarpenter.org/mix2020.

If you are already registered with MIX, call 1-855-987-2020 to be placed on the out-of-work list.

In addition to adding your name to the out-of-work list, you should:

  1. Look for work with union contractors
  2. Network! Make connections with former employers or co-workers
  3. File for state unemployment benefits
  4. Update your training and certifications

Learn more about what you can do when you’ve been laid off.

Who do I contact about my benefits?

The details of your coverage — including eligibility, co-pays, deductibles and other out-of-pocket expenses — depend on your craft and where you live. Find your fund office here. Learn more about benefits offered here.

What should I do if offered a job outside my usual area?

Being prepared is the best way to be successful when working out of town. Refer to this helpful checklist before accepting a job out of your usual area.

What if I’m working outside of my usual area? How will that affect my benefits or pension?

All benefits are paid to the fund of the area you are working in. Make sure you fill out all necessary reciprocity forms to ensure your benefits are transferred to your home area. Contact your Local office if you have questions about these forms.

We also recommend you check in at the Local office in the area you are working in. They can also provide guidance on reciprocity.

How do I pay my dues?

You can pay your dues online, in person, over the phone or by mail. You can make it easier on yourself and your Local by paying many months in advance! Please note that some Locals do not accept credit cards, so check with your Local office before paying in person.