The North Central States Regional Council of Carpenters represents nearly 25,000 members and their families in 36 Local Unions in Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Our staff of nearly 130 representatives and specialists works for our members on jobsites, in the halls of power and in the community.
The North Central States Regional Council of Carpenters formed November 1, 2007, when the UBC merged the Lakes and Plains Regional Council with the Northern Wisconsin Regional Council.
Each of those councils was the result of earlier consolidations.
In Wisconsin, the Carpenters Union dates back to the early 1900s. The Northern Wisconsin Regional Council had its roots in the Greater Fox River Valley District Council, which was formed by the merger of the Fox River Valley Area Council, the Wisconsin River Valley Area Council, Eau Claire Carpenters Local 1074 and LaCrosse Carpenters Local 1143. In 1999, the organization restructured into the Northern Wisconsin Regional Council. In 2001, the Council’s jurisdiction expanded to include Madison Carpenters Local 314 and southern parts of the state.
In Minnesota, the first Carpenters Locals were chartered in Minneapolis in 1881 and in Saint Paul in 1885. The Twin City Carpenters District Council was founded in 1915 to build strength for Union Locals throughout the area. The Millwrights already were part of the Brotherhood; additional crafts joined later: the Pile Drivers in 1937, the Floor Coverers in 1940, and the Lathers in 1979.
In 1988, the UBC began to merge a number of Local Unions and created the Minnesota Statewide District Council. In 1994, jurisdictions changed again. Locals 361, 606 and 1348 were spun off; they eventually teamed with North Dakota Locals 1091 and 1176 to form the North Central Regional Council.
Locals in the rest of Minnesota became the Carpenters District Council of Southern Minnesota. In 1997, when jurisdiction expanded into South Dakota, that council adopted the Lakes and Plains name.
Lakes and Plains and the North Central Regional Council merged in 2003.
In July 2010, the North Central States Regional Council welcomed 3,000 members from five Locals in Nebraska and central and western Iowa.
In January 2016, the North Central States Regional Council welcomed 4,350 members from eight Locals in eastern Iowa and the Milwaukee area of Wisconsin.