If You Are Out of Work
The nature of construction means it’s typical to be out of a job at one point or another. When this happens, there are several steps you should take to minimize the length and impact of your unemployment.

  • Add your name to the out-of-work job referral list (see below to learn about the MIX 2020 job dispatch system)
  • Look for work with union contractors on our job board.
  • Network! Make connections with former employers or co-workers
  • File for state unemployment benefits
  • Update your training and certifications
  • Job search tips & tricks

Out of Work Referral List
If you have not yet registered with the MIX 2020 job dispatch system, please call 1-855-456-2141. You will also need to fill out a Skills sheet at www.northcountrycarpenter.org/mix2020.

If you are already registered with MIX, call 1-855-987-2020 to be placed on the out-of-work list.

Time spent “on the bench” is a great time to add skills and certifications that will make you more employable more often. Check the schedule of classes at the training center nearest you. If a class is not scheduled for the training you want or need, call the center and arrange for upgrade training on your own.

Food Bank
Twin Cities area Retirees run a weekly food bank to assist members and their families who are out of work. The food bank is open every Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Regional Council’s office at 710 Olive Street, Saint Paul. Members from any Minnesota Local are eligible to receive goods by showing your Union card.
Donations of cash and nonperishable items can be dropped off at your Local meeting or weekdays from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at the Regional Council’s Saint Paul office, or mailed to: Food Bank, North Central States Regional Council of Carpenters, 700 Olive Street, Saint Paul, MN 55130.

The Local 314 Food Bank in Madison, Wis., is open the first Thursday of each month from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Southern Training Center, 5202 Monument Lane. Members must have photo I.D., your work card, and must be registered on the current out-of-work list to be eligible. Retirees are not eligible.
For members of Local 314 who live in the Portage or Janesville areas and cannot drive to Madison, you may pick up Food Bank items at your local VOC meeting each month. Call 608-240-0314/800-346-2448 in advance to request this.
To donate to the Local 314 Food Bank, please bring nonperishable items to your Union or VOC meetings or directly to the Southern Training Center.

Professional Assistance
Being out of work can be stressful on you, your family, your finances and your health. Through our health insurance plan, the Council can help you get the confidential advice and referrals you need. Our member assistance plan offers counseling for medical, behavioral health and substance abuse.

This plan is specifically available to those members who are served by the Carpenters and Joiners Welfare Fund, which services members in the Twin Cities, southern Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska who are covered by the Wilson-McShane medical fund. The plan is overseen by a third-party administrator. For more information: T.E.A.M Workplace and Employee Services